Re: Middle sch. noise levels

From: Janjarreau
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 14:42:58 PDT

Vicki,
    This is such a good idea. My B day is so loud especially 2 classes.
Today I had to do this thing I heard about called S.S.D. It means sustained
silent drawing or sit down shut up and draw (for 10 minutes) I like your
idea because it gets them doing something positive and productive early in
the period and then they may stay quiet into the lesson. I will start this
tomorrow. I teach 6-8 too. They are chatter boxes. Thanks.
Janice
In a message dated 8/23/00 11:31:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
vranck writes:
> hello,
> i have just started doing something new with my middle school classes: when
> they come in (6-8) they have 10 minutes of total silence drawing, with
> classical music playing in the background. i keep all the work they are
> working on in a table folder. what's nice is you can accommodate all
> attention levels for the 6 week period (ie, the student can work on one
> drawing the entire 6 weeks or do a new one each day.) they are allowed to
> bring images from home, draw from still lifes, books etc. but the key words
> are draw and SILENCE!! if nothing else you have 10 mins. to enjoy the
> silence and they end up with a body of work at the end of the term!!! The
> silence is by far the best!!!!!!
> vicki

---