kiln firing

From: Sue Stevens (stevenss2000)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 11:05:34 PDT

    Hi there!
    I too load my kiln the day before, and thenI turn it on when I arrive the
    next day. I stay as late as I can, (usually around 5, and if it has not
    shut off yet) then I ask very nicely if the custodian would check it before
    he (she) leaves....have not had a problem with this arrangement. It is not
    part of the custodians job to look after your kiln, and they can say no, but
    if they're willing, great! I do not have a computer on my kiln....I have a
    kiln sitter, and a timer, and a breaker box.....
    Last year, I was having great difficulty firing to temperature.....we would
    turn it on at 7:30 am, and it would not shut itself of by 10:30 at
    night.....at which point the custodian would though the breaker for me.....I
    am not comfortable leaving the kiln firing all night with no one
    there.....(it turned out btw, that someone had reversered the numbers on the
    dial, so when I thought I was firing high, I was actually firing low......)
    good luck with it.
    sue