Re: Mural Project

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 09:57:36 PDT

    Chris Bernholdt wrote
    > Help...if I could enlist some ideas on how to get this
    > started. I am now in charge of a mural project for my
    > school. Has anyone done a mural in their school? If
    > so, what is the best way to start? What are the best
    > paint materials to buy? Basically, how do I organize
    > this project and impress my Superintendent as well.
    > Any ideas will help.

    I did a mural with my art club (grades 7 &8) last year and it was
    absolutely wonderful. The principal liked it the other teachers liked it and
    best of all the studnets all liked it and felt successful about the work.

    I happen to have had 16 x 20" canvass panels. Each students recieved one
    panel and 1/16 of Van Gogh's Starry Night. They worked on the drawing of
    their section and then used tempra mixed with a thick acrylic gel medium
    from Golden Paints. They were very diligent about colr mixing and lines.
    They communicated with each other about where the edges of the panel met so
    that it would be somewhat uniform. Each panel stand out as a unique style
    even though as a whole it looks like the picture. The panels were mounted on
    a board, framed and then mounted onto the wall.

    I have done murals where the studnets work directly on the wall but I had a
    smaller group (6 students) as opposed to the 25 that showed up regularly for
    art club. Also the summer crew painted it out when they got the work order
    mixed up!!!

    Yvette

    ---