RE: da vinci flyers

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 09:41:48 PDT

    > salutations, trying to make a flying machine for possible use, but mainly
    > for aesthetic purposes. Wanting to hang in my apartment (30' tall
    > ceilings). Can anyone tell me how to mount something in a plaster
    > ceiling?
    > and, any interesting ideas for media to construct my flyer? I was
    > thinking
    > about canvas and copper tube?

    Your local hardware store will have plastic inserts which will go into
    plaster (drill your hole, tap them in, then the screw spreads the plastic
    inside the plaster and makes a firm brace).

    On constructing the flyer, Da Vinci may not have had and certainly wouldn't
    have used copper tubing. Try Balsa wood dowels. For the wings, there must
    be some form of wax or tissue paper to stretch over the struts.

    Lar

    ---