Re:paraplegic student

From: Debbie Nicholas (deeknik)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 06:52:26 PDT

    Susie wrote:
    "Today I received a paraplegic student. He arrived
    with an aide. He cannot
    speak and has no use of his limbs. She said he was
    there at the request of
    his father for socialization."

    I had a similar situation one time. I teach middle
    school and these students can be cruel at times but
    will surprise you when you least expect. At first it
    was awkward, then we found "Sam" could communicate a
    lot with his facial expressions. He worked with other
    students on several projects. They would ask his
    opinion about the lines and colors to be used. He was
    very bright and would catch jokes that others missed.
    He was a joy and we missed him on days when he was out
    of school for one reason or other.

    Give the student a chance and you might be surprised
    at what he can contribute with use of limbs or voice.

    =====
    Debbie
    NE Texas