Re: Handkerchiefs

From: Hysterio
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 02:38:39 PDT

    Actually, there is another way. You can purchase steadler erasers (these
    work best), and carve designs in them (very easy) as you would a block print.
     Dip the eraser in ink or dye, and the make a pattern on the fabric. Now, I
    realize that you can't have the kids carving but, you can pre-carve them.
    This project can be tied into teaching about culture.
    http://www.ghana.com/republic/adinkra/symbols4.html. This site provides
    symbols used on fabrics in Africa. Another way, for future reference, if you
    are working with older kids, is to dip the eraser stamps into bleach. (Better
    done outside because of fumes) Pressing the eraser stamps on the colored
    fabric will remove color leaving a design.

    ---