Kilns firing -- and disrespect from students

From: mdecker (mdecker)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 17:36:00 PDT

    Thank you to all who responded to the list and to me privately about kilns
    firing. I found it interesting that so many of you are allowed to fire your
    kilns over night. The directions for my kiln actually do say to soak
    (switches on low) over night for sculptural pieces. I have done this and
    knew it was a risk. I would turn one switch on low and leave the lid cracked
    open. My bisque fires always take longer than 8 hours--but that is because I
    fire slowly. Glaze fires are done more quickly (I tell my custodians they
    are on....but come back to see that they shut off). I am also glad your
    school systems do not see firing projects over the week-end as a problem. I
    have kept many of your suggestions on file and hope to get our policy
    changed. I do not know if we will have to set something up with the fire
    inspector or what. I still think it is my responsibility to make sure it has
    shut off properly. My kilns are not computerized. I use junior firing cones.
    I have had several fail over the years. It is a good thing I know how to
    recognize the apporximate right temperature by the color of the kiln too!

    As for the topic on respect....we are all right on...we all think alike! Nip
    it in the bud...but react humorously---don't yell because that is what so
    many kids want to see.

    I think I have enough info on both of these topics, now.

    Thanks for your time,
    Judith Decker

    ---