Re: discipline models- coaches

From: Iteachart7
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 17:39:52 PDT

     This coach does
      have respect for what we do. I wish more coaches were like him! >>
     AMEN!!!

    I wanted to share a coaching "experience". I teach pretty much the entire
    Football team. 95% of which have no artistic ability. I teach them how to
    look at art and how to see beyond the "pretty" pictures and that art doesn't
    have to match your couch. We did Double self portraits a la Chuck close
    using an inkpad and their fingertip. They learned how to grid and enlarge.
    I make them draw it upside down to help them see lines and space. They did
    phenomenal values from their black and white photos and their portraits were
    breath taking. I hung every one of them in the hall. Our football coach came
    into my class and said to me "if you can teach these bozos to make work like
    that, you're OK Mrs. B" I was overcome. If I have a problem with any of
    these guys, I bring the coach right in.

    You want the janitors and the secretaries. Don't forget the coaches! They
    are your allies too.
    Peace
    Gabrielle

    ---