Re: fish prints

From: gregjuli
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 17:21:29 PDT

    HI Christine,
    I did Gyotaku( fish prints) at the end of the school year with my 7th gr. and we
    had a blast. We used real and rubber fish. The rubber fish actually worked
    better for us as far as printing results, but the real ones were quite a
    novelty.
    We used an acrylic fabric paint that we brushed on. Prints were done on fabric
    and colored tissue paper. If you can get your hands on some metallic colors it
    creates some wonderful prints. Some instructions call for rolling on printing
    ink with a soft brayer( foam) . We have used the rubber brayers that work so-
    so. I actually prefer the brushes. Practice some prints and find out what you
    like best.
    Also you can find out the history of gyotaku at
    http://www.art.unt.edu./ntieva/artcurr/japan/gyotaku.htm

    MaryB

    ---