discipline models- coaches

From: mdecker (mdecker)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 10:08:30 PDT

    I will share an experience that happened with me when I was teaching high
    school. I had a basketball player that was not doing well in my class (he
    probably had the same attitude that many athletes share). I could not get
    him to come in after school to do the work so he could get a passing grade.
    I went to the basketball coach with the problem and discussed it with him. I
    told him I had offered to stay after school with the player to help him get
    his work finished (he was not working in class). The basketball coach told
    the player he had to come in after school and would not be able to play if
    he did not do his work. The basketball coach actually brought him to my room
    after school to make sure he stayed. Because of the efforts of this coach,
    the star player brought his grades up...and then he made sure he worked as
    hard as he could to get his work done in class. I wish more coaches really
    cared about their players like this coach does!

    Several years later I had this coach's son in class. His son was not getting
    an A in my class. He understood when I said that the work his son was doing
    did not warrant and A. I told him I always give students who want to get the
    A an opportunity to do some extra credit. The boy stayed after school to
    finish a handmade book project---and got the A in class. This coach does
    have respect for what we do. I wish more coaches were like him!

    Judith Decker

    ---