Re: statement

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 17:33:14 PDT

    on 8/22/00 8:51 PM, Jackie Aust at jab1997 wrote:

    > Okay guys, I got this statement yesterday, would like your feedback.
    > " Why do you grade so hard in art? It is just an elective (even though
    > our district requires it for graduation). Students should not be given
    > below a B in art. Not everyone can do art so you need to go easy on
    > them"
    Jackie

    Jackie - I have been there! My response is simple: Art is a discipline,
    and like any discipline, it has standards of excellence & a body of
    knowledge. The standards in my classes are tied to that body of knowledge.
    If you meet or exceed the standards of the class, you will never recieve
    less than a "B". Anyone who is willing to learn and work can do this, not
    just the "talented". If you are unwilling to work to this level, you will
    recieve a "C" or lower, and to do anything else would devalue the grades of
    students who work, learn and try. I believe you (anyone) can work to the
    level required by the class - do you believe in yourself, or are you looking
    for a "no effort" grade? - Dennis in Wyo.

    ---