Re: duty question

From: Donald Peters (softsnow)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 06:23:22 PDT

    >That is called the enrichment/tutoring period.

    I think the above is your strongest arguement. Tell the principal what you
    do during this time (yearbook, art club) and ask if he/she is willing to be
    responsible for this not being available to the students. Also, look into
    your state laws on the subject.

    Unfortunately, here in Texas a principal can require a teacher to do
    ANYTHING during contract time. I know of an art teacher in my district that
    has to call people from the community to come in and eat with a student
    during her extra time. Mine used to require that I create a school
    newsletter once a week on how to read to your child. (try coming up with
    info. on that subject for a whole year)

    As someone who used to sponsor yearbook, I think that is your main backbone
    for refusing to do this extra duty. Do you get extra compensation for
    sponsoring yearbook? If not, throw that in too. Document how much out of
    school time you spend on the yearbook (I remember many nights working to
    meet a deadline at 2:00 a.m. after I had sent the students home at 10:00)

    Good luck,
    Let us know how this turns out.
    Pat Peters
    Lubbock, Texas