Re: discipline middle school

From: Betty Bowen (aunthoppy)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 05:49:36 PDT

    Yesterday was so much better it was hard to imagine it
    was the same class (ok, that may be overstating it).
    We started right off practicing our classroom
    proceedures again, over and over and over, every time
    they didn't follow it, we would stop and practice
    again. That helped a great deal.

    I visited with two coaches at lunch and they assured
    me that art counts towards eligibility, and the kids
    get it mixed up with what counts towards moving to the
    next grade (art doesn't). One gave me a magic word
    "godevils" which is apparently football punishment
    from hell. He suggested I simply write it on the
    board. Pretty funny to see their faces when they
    noticed it. Who knew the art teacher would ever talk
    to the coaches? Also, they both assured me that I am
    welcome to give them detention, just let them know,
    and they'll also make them run laps, too. The head
    coach just said (in basso) "names, just give me names
    and I'll take care of it".

    One student who may have some fairly serious emotional
    problems has promised me he's trying to drop in order
    to get study hall so he can keep his grades up (to
    play). He really wants to behave, I truly believe he
    can't control himself.

    Anyway, it was tremendously better, and I even had
    enough energy to go to the gym after school!

    Thanks for all the advice
    Betty