Re: the first lesson-Montage

From: Bicyclken
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 21:20:03 PDT

    The Montage is a composition that they create with a collection of images
    that they re-sketch and change sizes and such. We arrange them using tracing
    aper to see how some images overlap and create harmony and directional
    movement throughout the format. I try to make composition the most important
    thing at first.

    Then we start using different media together, pastel and pencil using
    stencils and pastel dust for an airbrush effect, pastel on toned paper with
    colored pencil, ink and watercolor, watercolor pastel and ink, textured
    relief on boards or built up on the surface of the format.

    The final products are on illustration board. These students are usually my
    A.P. students as well and they can use this as one of their concentration
    projects.

    I have them work big from 15" x 20" to 20" x 30". They can mix and match any
    media and they use from 3 to 15 images in the composition.

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---