making fun of us

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 19:22:22 PDT

     I taught grades 7,8 &9 for many years. In my first year of teaching at age
    34, I bought an ordinary pair of shoes. For about a week I would walk into
    class and the kids would look at my feet and laugh, I walked into the
    cafeteria, the kids would look at my feet and laugh. Finally, I pulled aside
    one young man and asked what was so funny about my feet. He saud those are
    ole lady shoes!! And I replied I am 65 years old I am suppose to wear old
    lady shoes!! That ended the snickering.

    I think I deal with teasing in different ways depending on the student and
    the comments. Usually humor works. When another male student years later
    said that I had a nice butt , he was put into in-school suspension for a
    week. Honesty also helps, Female student kept asking me and telling me that
    I looked pregnant. Sometimes I got mad, but usually I would basicaaly agree
    with them about gaining weight and put it back on them. Sometimes they ask
    silly questions like that because someone at home or another young friend is
    pregnent and it's on their minds.

    Yvette

    ---