Re: watercolor artists

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 18:51:47 PDT

    Wendy, I'm so glad you mentioned sumi-e. I'm teaching it to my high school students next week. The advanced kids act like they've heard and done everything. Once I said I'd be introducing sumi-e, I actually peaked their interest. I like teaching sumi-e right before we introduce watercolor because it develops a sensitivity for brushstrokes.

    I just want to piggy back on all the artists mentioned so far (Sargent, Fish, etc.) and add Edward Hopper to the list. Both his watercolors and Sargent's have a freshness to them that their oils don't (in my humble opinion).

    Michelle H. Harrell
    michelle_h_harrell
    Southeast Raleigh High School
    Center for Accelerated Studies
    Raleigh, North Carolina

    Wendy Sauls wrote: "and what about sumi-e painting?"