Curious about kiln firings and discipline

From: MDecker (mdecker)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 06:01:08 PDT

    I would like some answers from you folks when you have time. This is a VERY
    busy time for all of you!

    1. How do you schedule kiln firings (primarily secondary teachers with
    larger works requiring slow firing)? Do you fire only during school hours?
    Anyone fire on weekends? What about bisque firing of sculpture pieces that
    usually take a slower firing? Are you permitted to "soak" the kiln over
    night (one switch on low)? Do you have to stay with your kiln at all times
    when firing? Do your night custodians check the kilns for you? Are you
    permitted to "trust" the kiln sitter to shut the kiln off?

    This is the posted rule in my building. "Do not leave the kiln unattended
    while firing" This has made it difficult for me (and honestly, I have not
    stuck to that rule- as I would leave and come back---leave and come
    back....but I would always come back to make sure the kiln shut off)

    2. How do you react to students who make fun of you?

    I tell the students who do to make fun of me to my face so I can have a
    laugh, too. Then I tell them it is not right to make fun of other people and
    especially adults since it shows disrespect. Showing respect is one of the
    rules in my classroom. I expect students to respect me, themselves and other
    students. If the behavior continues, then my discipline plan applies
    (warning, minor misconduct etc).

    Share any replies at your convenience.

    Judith Decker

    ---