Re: What's the first lesson you do?

From: gregjuli
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 20:07:54 PDT

    This one I got from someone on this listserve a while back- thank you whoever
    you are!
    After the kids make their sketchbooks , I tell them to draw a pretzel( from
    memory, no stick ones, the regular twisted kind). Then they get a real one
    and are to draw it below the memory one. Some of the things I talk to them how
    anyone can learn to draw. You need to look carefully and be a good observer,
    look at outlines and details. Many are surprised how when they really look at
    something how they improved their drawing , then they eat the pretzel. It is a
    fun little drawing icebreaker. Another one is to use a piece of popcorn.
    Middle school kids love to eat! This was with 7th grade. I've done the
    Vase/face with the 6th gr. or monster vase face.

    MaryB

    ---