Re: artsednet digest: August 16, 2000

From: msqu (msqu)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 19:58:39 PDT

    Christine,
        Why is it that some classroom teachers in the elementary schools feel
    they are your boss or that you are their teaching assistant? I teach a dbae
    curriculum that is in line with national, state and county standards. I
    helped write our county's art curriculum. I have taught art at the
    elementary level for 14 years and am certified eaya-art by the National
    Board for Professional Teaching Standards. I have an MA in art ed. I am a
    presenter at state and county workshops, and so on and so forth. I do not
    matt everything. My school can't afford it and I don't have the time. I DO
    NOT DO HOLLIDAY ART! I teach sequential lesson plans. I teach the art
    experience! I teach students how to think. I teach students how to
    persevere. I spend a lot of time informing myself on what the "core" (if you
    will) curriculum is and tailor my lessons to reenforce it. I study my
    state's standardized tests and make sure my lessons reinforce them. I do not
    bow to pressure from other teachers who do not have a clue about what I am
    doing!!! I admit I did before I got tenure, but no more. Many classroom
    teachers see elementary art teachers as a resource for extending their
    lessons or for decorating their room. When I display art at school, I put
    the standards (state) next to it. I work hard to get the teachers on my
    side, but I stop short of taking orders from them. I do not expect the other
    teachers to let my students complete art assignments in their room and,
    sometimes a few students do not finish. The same thing hapjpens in their
    class and you can bank on that. Sorry to go on, but art teachers need to
    stand up for the integrety of their curriculum.
    Martha Ulakovits
    NBPTS-EAYA-ART

    ---