Re: discipline models (Betty)

From: Holly112
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 19:56:58 PDT

    In a message dated 8/20/00 10:42:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    Hysterio writes:

    << I know it is difficult to find ways to connect. I understand. Your
     situation sounds very difficult. >>
    have told me directly that they'll do
    whatever they please in my class because it is "just
    art" and therefore does not count towards eligibility.

    Betty had said:
    All the behavior-discipline stuff I've seen tends to
    discuss how to deal with a single child. What about
    eight, and how do I deal with them without cheating
    the five who want to work? One rather large athlete
    has already thrown a chair.

    How heartbreaking, to have had to endure such a beginning. My guess is that
    if you don't nip this in the bud, it will escalate and possibly, they could
    get out of control. I would devise a discipline plan, outline and teach them
    your expectations and consequences, and carry out the consequences each and
    every time. They are bullying you. I would go out and buy, beg or steal Lee
    Canter's Assertive Discipline book and read it cover to cover this weekend,
    and implement your own plan FAST! Once they can behave, only then can you
    start really teaching. I'd let them work on some name design "easy" project
    at first, so that the ones who work won't be wasting their time, it could
    count for a grade. Just til everyone is clear how to behave...

    (I am speaking out of fear that I may encounter that same behavior on MY
    first day--LOL)

    Let us know what develops--my heart goes out to you!
    Good luck!

    Holly :0)

    ---