Re: discipline models

From: Betty Bowen (aunthoppy)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 19:16:26 PDT

    --- "L. E. Horvath" <dulcius> wrote:
    > <<I'm not big on
    > extrinsic rewards (but I do offer a few) because I
    > believe the ultimate
    > reward for good behavior is personal achievement and
    > satisfaction.

    I agree, however, I have one class of 13 with eight
    (at least) who are (at this point I have no
    documentation, this is just my instinct)
    learning/behavior disabled. Most of them are football
    players who have told me directly that they'll do
    whatever they please in my class because it is "just
    art" and therefore does not count towards eligibility.

    All the behavior-discipline stuff I've seen tends to
    discuss how to deal with a single child. What about
    eight, and how do I deal with them without cheating
    the five who want to work? One rather large athlete
    has already thrown a chair. My other five classes are
    lovely and peaceful and delightful to teach.

    Advice from you experienced folks out there? My plans:
    1. talk to the coach and ask his advice. 2. Start the
    week again with learning classroom proceedures. If we
    do that all week, fine. Keep hanging up the cool stuff
    the other classes are doing. The co-operative kids
    will be able to catch up, but I'm sure they are
    miserable at this point too.

    BB