What's the first lesson you do?

From: Iteachart7
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 19:00:49 PDT

    Dear Art people:
    I know many of you have already started school already. I don't go back
    until the 29th for inservice and the kids don't come in until the 5th. Over
    this summer so many wonderful ideas and concepts have been shared and I was
    wondering what everyone will be doing there first full lesson on?
    I'll start here. I always begin the first week with LINE. It's our taking a
    mark for a walk week culminating in our name quilt. We spend the first few
    days making lines with sharpie markers, They have to come up with as many
    differences in size, shape, value, as they can. They are then given a 9x12
    piece of 80lbs drawing paper. They have to write their name in cursive (first
    or last whichever is longer) large and horizontally across the paper. If
    it's real long and runs off the paper that's OK. Then they turn the paper
    vertically and write their other name midway across the center. The trick
    here is to start writing and stop when you reach the first name, hop over and
    continue writing the rest of your name. Their name should look like a plus
    sign. Then they go over it with the marker and work the contour using the
    different lines they've developed. It should be worked in the "round" by
    turning the paper as you work. It's a great way to get to know names. I do
    this with all 175 kids and in three days I know all their names. We hang in
    up in the cafe like a giant quilt. All the cross sections pretty much line
    up and it makes quite a statement as our first group project.

    Peace
    Gabrielle

    ---