Re: Activity HELP

From: ARTNSOUL12
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 07:40:53 PDT

    To ArtKathy1 (or anyone else on a cart) who is teaching each grade 1/2 hour
    classes twice a week on a cart: I emphathize with you, as up to a couple of
    years ago, I taught for 8 years in a school with 4 floors, 1 cart, no sinks
    in rooms, unheated closet was my station . Can you get the classes at each
    grade level grouped back to back? This helped me, as I would prepare the
    supplies for the whole grade and would teach the same lesson per grade. If
    this is not possible, I suggest that you try to plan at least some lessons
    around using the same supplies. Tempera paint, would be the medium, for
    example, but the lessons using the tempera paint would vary according to
    grade and/or goal.

    Another approach you can use is doing a lesson school-wide with different
    criteria or variation on a theme for each grade level. I've had success
    teaching this way with a lesson based on Rousseau and a jungle theme. Each
    grade discusses Rousseau and his art. Both the content of these discussions
    and the actual activities based around Rousseau's art as an inspiration, vary
    according to grade level. I say don't give up class discussions about famous
    art, or the elements of art, or whatever your lesson's goals happen to be.
    To begin the lesson, this might mean a 15-20 min. class discussion with a
    10-15 min. study drawing. Then, in subsequent classes you could begin with
    simple animal drawings and leaves at the lower levels, add collage,
    overlapping, analogous colors, etc. as the age levels allow.

    Matisse and Picasso are also two artists that can easily be studied by K-8,
    with variations on the theme. For example, a doable lesson from a cart is a
    lesson based around Matisse's idea of "drawing with a scissors". The weeks
    you are doing Matisse-like cut-outs require on your cart construction paper,
    scissors, glue, and of course, examples of his famous cut paper art (I often
    use calendar pics). According to the grade level, discuss "drawing with a
    scissor", what is a shape, representational and non-representational shapes,
    composition, etc. The final masterpieces can be created individually on a
    12"x18" background paper, or I have had the kids combine their cut-outs on
    long mural paper for a "Matisse Mural".

     Picasso portraits can be taught with his cubistic portraits and your
    craypas, crayons, or whatever medium you have on your cart. The 1st class is
    a discussion of the father of Cubism. Get a picture of Mona Lisa and Dora
    Maar, by Picasso, and at any grade level have the class discuss the
    differences. Included in the first class might be a warm-up exercise pencil
    drawing of a cubistic portrait. The next two 1/2 hour classes would involve
    creating cubistic portraits.

    For a really-easy-for-you but substantial lesson on symmetry, did you see the
    napkin
     design lesson I posted last week, or a couple of weeks ago? You just need
    1/2 hour, colored markers, and napkins. The kids love it! Hope this helped
    a little, good luck.... Susan on Long Island

    ---