Re: great offer/two weeks before school

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 12:48:31 PDT

    Many changes are made at the very beginning of the school year

    If you plan to leave, telling the workplace where you are ASAP is the most
    ethical

    Don't leave without a firm offer in writing from the new position

    The devil (or in this case, angel) you know... I have changed careers 5 times
    and jobs four times that often. Each change is a lurch and a learning. I have
    loved all my jobs, the work that is, but not all work places. Now at my mid-
    life, I choose a wonderful workplace over money.

    Still, I am a risk taker, and if something spiffy came along, I might be
    tempted. How much of a risk taker are you? There are many unknowns. Can you
    meet up with an incompatible workplace and say, "Oh darn" or would you be
    terribly regretful and depressed if the new workplace is not as good a fit for
    you as your current job?

    How does your roommate feel and think about all this? Remember the oxygen mask
    theory, that you put your own on in an airplane, before helping someone else.
    Make sure the move you make takes care of you.

    Mom always said, "Look before you leap!" Still good advice.

    ---