Re: colonial art /Kara Walker

From: artrageous
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 11:12:32 PDT

    <<I made slides of silhouette examples (sorry I don't have titles/will look
    up) and then introduced Kara Walker as a contemporary exemplar of an artist
    using silhouettes in a narrative way>>

    Thanks for the info on Kara Walker--I wasn't aware of her work. Powerful
    stuff it is, and what a technique.... I read through several online articles
    about her work, and it's interesting how the community of contemporary black
    artists is so split in its opinion of her and her work.

    You're right, though--while this is a good tie-in to the colonial use of
    silhouette, the websites featuring Walker's work are NOT the type to
    randomly pull up during class....

    Sharon
    EMAIL: artrageous
    AIM: SKBK56, ArtrageousSBK, & others