Re: Fresco Painting

From: Bill Sechler (BillSe.us)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 10:07:58 PDT

    Check the Ralph Mayer books on Artist Painting Techniques and in one of his books he provides the recipe for doing small panels in "true fresco" for student benefit, then graduate to a small section of a wall if you are so inclined.

    >>> paris 08/15 11:02 AM >>>
    Have any of you ever attempted or seen anyone attempt to do fresco
    painting? Is it possible to use "regular" plaster and tempera or, even
    better, make your own tempera for the fresco. I remember someone posted
    the website about making your own egg tempera paint, but do not remember
    anyone discussing doing fresco painting. It does not have to be on a
    wall. It could be (preferably) at a much smaller scale, say...out of a
    disposable pie tin?

    I am going to be teaching the first timers in Advanced Studio, a two
    year course, and love the history and science aspects of fresco
    painting. I think it would be such a content rich lesson for them, if
    it were successful.

    Thanks a bunch for any suggestions, or success/failure stories.

    LynnMarie