Re: Standard practices-unfinished work, regular projects going home-to mount or no ?

From: E Jane Beckwith (ejb35)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 09:54:41 PDT

    This seems to be a hot button issue. I followed on the heels of a teacher who
    did fun crafts and every child was successfull. All the work looked alike! Many
    in the school mourned her leaving and wanted "fun 'n easy" theme related
    projects such as holidays. As you know, the New York State Standards for the
    arts don't encourage teachers to have students all make the same origami fish
    and put glitter on it. As I taught to the standards, students complained about
    how much fun Mrs. Glitter had been. I stuck to my guns, incorporating higher
    order thinking, reflection, visual and written literacy, aesthetics, etc along
    with an emphasis on art making. Voila! At the end of the year most every child
    was painting with skill and gusto, had good ideas about art and its meaning for
    them. Knew how to draw beautifully from observing real objects and people (not
    the pokemon cartoons they all brought in at the beginning of the year). It took
    the whole 10 months, but it was worth it. As I start the new year, I have a
    nice foundation to build on. Perhaps Mr. Mat and others who think they know
    what art teaching is could be educated to the standards we are asked to meet by
    NAEA (Get a poster, put it up in your room, do an in-service for teachers, copy
    an article about learning in and through art - which does not mean that
    science, math etc. are served by art). This year I plan to offer an after
    school art program for teachers. Even if only one shows up, it could build.
    Together they and I will figure out how to incorporate art across the
    curriculum. Have a wonderful year and work on making Mr. Mat a devoted convert!
    Jane

    ---