Re: Plaster mask project--how to make a positive

From: Sue Stewart (stewar2)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 09:49:42 PDT

    My students do this every year - be sure to reinforce the original on
    the outside because of the rough handling that will happen as you
    reverse cast. Then coat the inside heavily with Vaseline , especially
    the edges where you will have to get a grip to separate the two. After
    that start again with the strips - doing the inside of the mask and
    smoothing carefully down into the details - using smaller strips there.
    After it dries, separate the two at one edge with you fingers and give a
    might tug. You can use the original over and over until the edges break
    down. hope this helps - using strips n the inside doesn't give as much
    detail but works best with kids - pouring plaster gives more detail but
    since you can't control the thickness, sometimes they are too heavy and
    won't come apart.

    ---