Re: 6 graders getting grades for art......(Bunki)

From: Holly112
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 07:49:37 PDT

    In a message dated 8/18/00 7:25:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    dibeilby2 writes:

    << I tell them that grades are not the primary reason to be in school,
    learning
     is. >>

    I've had to give grades, and personally, it annoys me when kids ask , "What
    did I get?" I want them to learn and do for Art's sake, to enjoy it! In my
    home K-6 district, my kids' report cards only had grades for academic
    subjects. There was a line on the card that stated: YOU MAY ASSUME YOUR
    CHILD IS PERFORMING SUCCESSFULLY IN ART, MUSIC AND PE, UNLESS OTHERWISE
    INDICATED. I felt that that was the perfect way to grade-- it took the
    burden of grading away from the teacher, while still providing an avenue to
    deal with non-performance. When I was grading 550 kids in Acheivement,
    effort and conduct the last two years, there were times I wished I had this
    "easier" out!

    Holly :0)

    ---