Re: demonstration...an idea

From: ARTNSOUL12
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 06:48:55 PDT

     Marcy asked for any ideas for effective project demonstrations, so I'll
    share what I've developed over the years and what seems to work very well for
    my K-5 students and for me. Everyone walks over to the demo table together.
    After they are gathered around the table we all do this together: the kids
    put their arms down beside their bodies and everyone takes one step back.
    While they are doing this I lead them in a chorus of: "Hands by my side, and
    one step back." I add in a tiny voice, "Freeze, please." For some strange
    reason, everyone enjoys doing and saying this- like a ritual chant. By the
    second or third demo (by the third week of kindergarten) I almost don't have
    to lead, they all automatically are saying "Hands by my side....." I find
    that consistancy really helps so if a student is beginning to crowd, I will
    stop the demo to reaffirm the chant.
    I try to involve the students in the demo as much as possible. You might want
    to choose the hyperactive ones or the easily distracted students for this.
    Also, I never speak until I have everyone's attention. Usually the kids are
    excited about seeing what they are going to do, about using different medium,
    and I try to reinforce this with my enthusiasm during the demo. Hope this
    helps ..... Susan on long Island

    ---