Re: colonial art /Sharon and Alice Ann

From: KLMVisArt
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 06:25:30 PDT

    Alice Ann and Sharon,
    I have tried to do silhouettes integrated with classroom colonial studies and
    found wonderful books on New England Colonial arts at the library. I made
    slides of silhouette examples (sorry I don't have titles/will look up) and
    then introduced Kara Walker as a contemporary exemplar of an artist using
    silhouettes in a narrative way. If you are not familiar with her work you
    could check it out online.
         Walker won a Genius Grant a few years ago, exhibited a one woman show at
    the Whitney, etc. She graduated from RISD and I have seen one of her murals
    exhibited there. Did I say she did murals with paper and an exacto knife?
    AMAZING, but very charged so I'm extremely careful what I show the children.
    I never call up a website in class, but rather print out appropriate examples
    or make slides. If you have any trouble researching her work let me know at
      mail to:KLMVisArt and I'll try to mail you specific addresses
    and snail mail you some Xeroxed copies if you are interested.
         I do change the lesson according to my objectives. Some classes have
    worked on murals in groups depicting historical events they have been
    studying. Others have told a story individually (working on a smaller scale)
    and then mounted the image on a larger paper to create a border that they can
    write in. This brings in a text and image element that I enjoy.
    Good luck,
    Kerry

    Sharon, if you teach little ones try still life drawings in black and white
    crayon on torn brown paper bag. Tear out a sheet then observe colonial
    looking objects (pewter mugs, ink well and feather, candles, etc.) My
    cooperating teacher did this one and everyone is thrilled with the results.
    I mount the brown bag piece on black construction paper.

    ---