Re: Standard practices....etc;

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler@ez-net.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 05:57:17 PDT

    Re: Standard practices-unfinished work, regular projects going home-to mount
    or no ?

    Well, first of all take any advice I give with a grain of salt. I've lost a
    number of professional positions...teaching...and an administrative position
    in a national nonprofit organization, for standing my ground and maintaining
    my principles and integrity. As a result, at 46 years of age...I'm starting
    over and have nothing to speak of for retirement.

    Oh...did I forget to say that if I had a choice I'd do it all over again?
    You betcha. Without holding to your sense of dignity and integrity, what
    else is left? Is it scary? Without question! Principles...however, are
    principles.

    I would insist that if this teacher wants to be an arts mentor, that the
    school administration enforce a ruling that this teacher be required to
    begin taking some art ed courses. Then, I'd put this teacher in charge of
    fundraising projects to increase the art budget for PRE-made mats, a
    shrinkwrapping machine, etc;

    I teach k-12....and the school must believe you are the "professional"...or
    you will have one nightmare after another. Every little "what's good for
    the community" project will come into your room next after this
    wrap-your-curriculum-around-holidays mess.

    Plop a number of huge curriculum guides on his desk....and challenge him to
    find where such criteria can be found. Nominate him to the curriculum
    commitees.

    Finally....increase testing findings and analysis for his particular
    students to make sure the "students" going home in his class meet national
    standards. We wouldn't want to send students home unfinished!

    Ssheesh....!

    Larry Seiler

    ---