Re: [Fwd: FW: A TEACHER IN THE 21ST CENTURY]

From: Holly112
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 21:31:08 PDT

    In a message dated 8/18/00 12:14:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    lyris writes:

    << Let me see if I've got this right. You want me to go into that room
      with all those kids and fill their every waking moment with a love for
      learning.

     So true........all of it.......
     Here's another view, I might have posted it before, if I did, sorry....

     Subject: Glorified babysitters!!

    Realistic Teacher Salaries
     I'm fed up with these teachers and their hefty salary guides. What we need
     here is a little perspective. If I had my way, I'd pay these teachers
    myself . I'd pay
     them babysitting wages. That's right, instead of paying these outrageous
    taxes,
     I'd give them $3 an hour out of my pocket. And I'm only going to pay them
    for
    5 hours, not coffee breaks or lunch. That would be $15 a day. Each parent
    should pay $15 a day for these teachers to babysit their child. Even if they
    have more than one child, it is still a lot cheaper than private day care.
    Now how many children do they have in a class, maybe thirty? That's $15 x 30
    = $450 a day.
     But remember, they only work 180 days a year! I'm not going to pay them for
    all those vacations! $450 x 180 = $81,000. (Just a minute, I think my
    calculator must need batteries!) I know, you teachers will say ,"What about
    those who have ten
    years experience and a Master's Degree?" Well, maybe (to be fair) they
    could get
     minimum wage and instead of just babysitting they could read a story to
     the children. We can round that off to $5 an hour times five hours times
    thirty
     children, that's $750 a day times 180 days, that's $135,000 HUH? Wait
     a minute, let's get a little perspective here. Babysitting wages are too
    good
     for teachers. Did anyone see a salary guide around here?

     Holly :0)

    Holly :0)

    ---