Rag rugs?

From: artrageous
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 10:52:56 PDT

    Has anyone ever tried making braided rag rugs with their students? This year I'll be teaching a class for 5th-7th graders that is thematically-based.

    We'll start the year with art of the Middle Ages (dragons, castles, clan crests, gargoyles, etc., etc.), probably do Pop art projects and art history during the 2nd trimester, and I'm thinking of doing a Colonial arts and crafts theme for the 3rd trimester. I'm thinking along the lines of stenciling, silhouettes, candle making (maybe), small samplers, portraiture, landscapes, and possibly the rug braiding.

    I've never tried it myself, but it doesn't look too terribly difficult (she say, naively). I'd love to talk with someone who's done this personally or with kids.

    Thanks!

    Sharon
    EMAIL: artrageous
    AIM: SKBK56, ArtrageousSBK, & others