Standard practices, unfinished work......

From: holmgren (holmgren)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 03:57:27 PDT

    >A new teacher who just got
    >tenure got in my face and started demanding certain things:
    >that I create projects around thanksgiving, xmas, easter, moms and dads days

    Christine,

    A few thoughts about your message....Why does a classroom teacher have
    any say at all about how you do your art curriculum? This guy is out of
    line! I would let this teacher know, in no uncertain terms, that you are
    the art teacher here, and it is your job to do things the way you have
    been trained to do, in the best way you know how. His job is to teach
    HIS class in the way he deems best. The fact that your principal supports
    you should mean alot to you. Although, if he was really supportive, he
    would let the other teacher know his behavior is unacceptable. This
    teacher's unprofessionalism in attacking you really makes me angry.
    Stick up for your guns! Do things your way, and ignore him.

    As far as the issues about art work--I teach elementary art, and I don't
    frame every piece of work the students do. In fact, when I display work
    in the hallways, I often mount the work on construction paper--I teach
    the kids how to choose colors and do the mounting. I have folders for all
    the kids; if a child doesn't finish a project, I generally have them keep
    it in the folder, and they can work on it if they get done early with
    another project.

    Mary H.

    ---