Re: Standard practices-unfinished work, regular projects going home-to mount or no ?

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 19:10:36 PDT

    on 8/17/00 1:20 PM, Casart9197 at Casart9197 wrote:

    > I am an elementary art teacher k-6, and I also teach grade 9 studio in art. .
    > I am writing to find out what the "common parctice" is among my peers. I
    > have been at my job now going into my 7th year. A new teacher who just got
    > tenure got in my face and started demanding certain things:
    > that I create projects around thanksgiving, xmas, easter, moms and dads days
    > MORE IMPORTANTLY he is insisting that I "frame " or "mat" these projects for
    > these occasions.
    > Christine in Binghamton NY
    >
    > ---

    Christine - Who is this officious bozo, and what authority does he have over
    you? I would throw it back as: "Do you want pretty products or do you want
    the kids to learn about art? I am qualified to do this and you are not!"
    You might also bring up the curriculum as an issue. Can you deliver your
    curriculum entirely through "school art" thematic work? Finally, since you
    seem to have a good relationship w/ the principal, encourage Mr. Mat to go
    there, then encourage the principal to develop a spine & draw some limits
    for this person. - Dennis in Wyo.

    ---