Re: Standard practices-unfinished work, regular projects going home-to mount or no ?

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 08:12:22 PDT

    If you have been doing your job for 7 years and getting recognition from
    your building principal there is no reason to submit to that type of
    treatment!!!

    Emotional abuse and control are things we can choose not to tolerate. This
    has really clicked with me as I remember all the people I tried to please
    and how I would turn myself inside out to figure out what to do.

    Matting vs. mounting

    With my ninth graders, I show them how to mount, this takes measuring and
    gluing evenly. Something they don't always take care to do. They are graded
    on their craftsmanship as part of the project grade. I don't teach matting
    because I will not give out mat knives.

    With my seventh and eighth graders, maybe on one project I have them glue
    down onto a precut black construction paper but not all. It depends on the
    objective of the lesson.

    When putting up a special show, I do some of the mounting myself but I am
    not going to cut mats. My time is better used in developing lessons and
    working with specific students afterschool.

    Goodluck, He seemes like a difficult person to work with!

    Yvette

    ---