Re: Question about Outdoor Rock Painting

From: Bruce Crable (crable)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 06:42:48 PDT

    Howdy from Tucson,
      I'm not sure what your weather is like, but I can tell you from
    experience that your painting will fade if it is in the sun. It will crack
    if it is exposed to exterme temps. It will peal if it not flexible and
    dries hard or expands at a different rate than the rock. Painters have
    been dealing with this for ions. Probably the most durable exterior house
    paint is the best to use. The vehicle of the paint is flexible enough to
    withstand the weather, but the concerns of housepaint will probably be
    along the lines of fading. Artists acrylic paint dries much harder than
    oil based paints, and could peel. Probably the best bet is to paint a rock
    on canvass, paint "welcome" on that rock, then hang it on the subject rock
    only on overcast days when it is 72 degrees.
    Bruce

    ---