Re: As I LIve AND Breath! JULIE

From: Jarsawyer
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 05:26:21 PDT

    It's GREAT to make art in an appreciation class -- especially if you are
    doing modern/ contemporary and the group may not have an understanding of it
    yet. Where are you starting -- how does your semester shape up?

    Books that I used to use (many, MANY years ago) included Purposes of Art by
    Elsen I think and What is Art by John Canaday. I stayed away from survey
    books because that's another course and concentrated mostly on understanding
    why art is made, why it's a reflection of its time and what to look for in
    modern and contemporary art. If you ask them, for example, to draw lines
    that show calm, anxiety, anger, etc. they start to understand expressionism
    in art and realize how hard it is to represent something abstract like
    feelings. That's a good starting point -- they also realize how hard it is
    to MAKE art.

    Another thing I used to do in intro. to art is, on the first day, ask them
    to draw the following things: a face, a car, a flower, a house, etc. and
    then we'd look at the results -- mostly everything will be a symbol or icon
    -- all the faces frontal, the car a side view (in my day of a VW bug), the
    flower a daisy, the house a child's simple rendering. We'd talk about how at
    a certain age, kids become convinced they are either good or not good at art
    and how our society doesn't place enough importance on art, etc.

    If you give me specific topics -- I will help you develop specific lesson
    plan ideas, if you want.

    Julie

    ---