Re: artsednet digest: August 16, 2000

From: Gabrielle Prandoni (gprandon)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 02:18:15 PDT

    >Yvette wrote:
    >In my 7 & 8th grade classes I started the class with a list of rules based
    >on the concept of what is an art studio. Then I went through 13 rules,
    which
    >seems like a lot but for my students everything needed to be said clearly
    >and simply. Also listed were 4 consequences. In addition to this I had a
    >parent letter for detentions that had to be signed by the parent and
    >returned. One was for late to class the other for misbehavior. As part of
    >my assessment rubrics a section on work habits and attitude is included.
    All
    >this together, done consistently does not eliminate problems from the
    middle
    >school classroom but it does set a standard for excellence in work
    attitudes
    >as well as production, and a system that I can document for further
    >infractions that may need the attention of the administration.

    I have a list of expectations that are specific to the art room. Included
    in this are materials that the student needs to succeed in class, an
    explanation of the the grading system used, days I am available to make up
    missed work, and class room expectations that reinforce school expectations
    but are art room specific. I have a space for the student and parent to
    sign the sheet. I count the student/parent signature as the first grade of
    the course. This way if there is confusion about behavior or opportunities
    to make up work the students/ parents have a reference.

    This plus a seating chart also begins to help me remember students names.
    The sixth grade are the most difficult to learn because they are all new.
    Gabrielle

    ---