Standard practices-unfinished work, regular projects going home-to mount or no ?

From: Casart9197
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 22:20:37 PDT

    I am an elementary art teacher k-6, and I also teach grade 9 studio in art. .
    I am writing to find out what the "common parctice" is among my peers. I
    have been at my job now going into my 7th year. A new teacher who just got
    tenure got in my face and started demanding certain things:
    that I create projects around thanksgiving, xmas, easter, moms and dads days
    (I can do these however I wish so they are not "cookie cutter". )
    What really offended me was that he said he would "not accept" my sending
    students work home with them if it was not complete. I am split between 2
    buildings. The ele. kids get 1x a week, 50 minutes. I feel strongly that they
    need to learn time management skills, and have tried unsuccessfully to
    remediate in the past because teachers don't want to give them time to go
    finish art projects when they are already behind academically. I am also
    supposd to be juggling technology alongside studio work, and I only have 1
    computer, and this greenhorn is telling me I HAVE to give them the chance to
    finish. -that they may have to "only do part of the curriculum if they're
    slow" - basically to run 2 projects at the same time.
    MORE IMPORTANTLY he is insisting that I "frame " or "mat" these projects for
    these occasions. I told him he had no idea how expensive and time consuming
    that would be, that it is not standard practice among my colleagues in our
    district, and that it has generally been accepted that the work gets matted
    for the annual art show or mounted for it. Otherwise things go home "as is"
    minus framing. He is insisting that if I don't do this he will" report it" to
    my principal, the same thing with the kids not finishing, that I should have
    to write a note to each one's parents explaining why they didn't finish.
    My principal is supportive of me and understands my reasons for doing things
    how I do, I always get "exceeds expectation "reviews when observed from her
    and my dept. chair.
    I am thinking, fine, have the kids mount their work(I'll show them how ) or
    try to accomodate with a "quickie" mounting on colored paper. I refuse to
    spend my $$ on this, this is not college, it's elementary school. I feel if
    he wants to push it, then let him go to the boss; I'm sure she'll put him in
    his place.
    Moral support and your policies regarding matting or mounting on non art show
    work going home PLEASE !!!
    ps- when considering this request as a single one, it doesn't seem
    unreasonable, but when you multiply it by all the other teachers at all the
    other grade levels, instead of developing new lessons and references for them
    and being able to work towards my art show I'm gonna be matting and mounting
    stuff.....I believe it's ok for finished drawing or painting to go home "asis
    " w/o frame. This guy is totally hung up on this.
    He's also bought into the school clique led by the music teacher who has been
    trying to discredit my professionalism and work ethic for the last 7 years,
    and she is finally retiring at the end of this year. I'm talking all out lies
    about what I do with my time, and character assassination here. My boss is
    also aware of this and keeps telling me, hold on, it's only one more
    year......
    I really could use you folk's support and experience with this, because I
    know the issue will be raised again, and I can be armed for further
    discussion from this group's responses.
    Thanks much ,
    Christine in Binghamton NY

    ---