Rewards

From: gregjuli
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 17:48:14 PDT

    I sure agree that rewards need to be an important part of the whole discipline
    picture. Heck , even us big folk enjoy rewards.
    In an effort to keep my last letter short about the Honors program at our school
    I neglected to mention the rewards- weekly drawings of names for some really neat
    prizes for those on Honor level 1, quarterly ice cream parties for those on the
    highest level ( best behavior), sports tickets, field trips.
    On an individual level , I give the kids Art Dollars for positive behaviors.
    Every time they earn a dollar they put their name on it and throw it in to the
    class basket for the weekly drawing on Fridays. Winners get a special treat and
    get to leave the class first. It cracks me up how quiet the kids are when the
    name is drawn. You can hear the proverbial pin drop. I also let them sit where
    they want, choose special music or chew gum for some rewards. There also is a
    large treat container( mostly Jolly Ranchers or Star Burst for special cleaners.
    They also enjoy art games.
    Would love to hear more on this. I'm always looking for new ideas!

    MaryB

    ARTNSOUL12 wrote:

    > After reading many versions of "Rules and Regulations", I haven't noticed
    > Positive Reinforcements being included in the written text in the classroom.

    ---