great offer/two weeks before school

From: Jarsawyer
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 09:16:07 PDT

    I guess this is an ethics question -- I'm not sure -- just need some advice
    or support or an ear.

    Last Thursday a friend offered me a chance to apply for a position that would
    be really challenging, 12 mos a year instead of 10, and excellent money.

    I love the school I'm at now, but am only 75% and was denied a full time
    position at one of the schools in the district recently -- they hired an
    intern (about $20K cheaper and more easily molded). So I'm not sure I'll
    ever acquire a full time job in this district although my "room-mate" is 60
    and will be retiring at some point. I love working with her and don't want
    to leave this wonderful school in the "lurch", but this is an awesome
    opportunity that just fell into my lap.

    My question is -- without a contract yet, is it O.K. to give a two week
    notice for this school year? I know it's O.K., I just feel badly about it.

    I think I'll spend the next two weeks helping to put supplies away and
    interviewing another candidate. The only problem is, the offer is not on the
    table yet. Don't feel comfortable moving forward until I have a contract --
    know what I mean.

    What do y'all think?

    Julie

    ---