Re: Philosophy of Discipline

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 07:52:17 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Linda Erling-Baker <beartsmart>
    To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet>
    Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 2:17 PM
    Subject: Philosophy of Discipline

    > Since I'm relatively new at teaching and still have much to learn, I was
    > wondering what some of you thought. When at an interview and are asked
    > "What is your philosophy of discipline?",

    The two philosophies I'm most familiar with are those of William Glasser
    (Reality Therapy, Quality Schools), and Lee Canter (Assertive Discipline).
    Do some searches with those names and you'll get some info. Also, I took a
    video course on discipline and learned quite a bit.

    My philosophy on discipline combines the theories of both people mentioned
    above. In a nutshell, I want to provide a classroom environment that is
    conducive to all my student's learning. My discipline plan addresses those
    behaviors that hinder the achievement of that goal. I'm not big on
    extrinsic rewards (but I do offer a few) because I believe the ultimate
    reward for good behavior is personal achievement and satisfaction. I try to
    teach my students to be intrinsically motivated (Glasser). However, I
    believe consistent consequences (preferable logical ones that have to do
    with the behavior) helps to maintain discipline (this is a combination of
    Glasser and Canter).

    Leah

    ---