Re: Rules and Expectations

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 07:31:31 PDT

    In my 7 & 8th grade classes I started the class with a list of rules based
    on the concept of what is an art studio. Then I went through 13 rules, which
    seems like a lot but for my students everything needed to be said clearly
    and simply. Also listed were 4 consequences. In addition to this I had a
    parent letter for detentions that had to be signed by the parent and
    returned. One was for late to class the other for misbehavior. As part of
    my assessment rubrics a section on work habits and attitude is included. All
    this together, done consistently does not eliminate problems from the middle
    school classroom but it does set a standard for excellence in work attitudes
    as well as production, and a system that I can document for further
    infractions that may need the attention of the administration.

    If anyone wants the specifics let me know.

    Yvette

    ---