Re: HELP! (learning names)

From: croberts (croberts)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 03:34:21 PDT

    >Does anyone have a surefire, shortcut way of learning students' names?
    >Holly :0)

    One thing that worked for me in middle school...was to seat them
    alphabetically by FIRST name...and then for the first few days, I would play
    the "name game".
    As I called the roll, I did it slowly and would really take a good look at
    the student trying to pick out something about them that I would remember.
    Then at the end of class after we cleaned up...I would go around the room
    and try to call their names...first name only (last names would come later).
    Since they're alphabetical...it helps. I would always mess up at
    first...but you get better. They loved it...loved to see me mess up.

    Some good "first day warm-ups" that I used in middle school would be:
    ..have them students ALL stand up and seat themselves alphabetically (could
    be first name or last name)...they have to figure it out themselves.
    ..OR have them seat themselves by height
    ..OR have them seat themselves by age (birthdates)

    And the rule was that "I would not help them"...I just gave them the
    assignment and would say nothing else. I did not help them with any clues
    as to how they should do this.

    They will usually stand there a minute and look at you with a strange
    expression...and then all of a sudden...someone will take charge and get
    them moving. It's great!

    Carolyn Roberts

    ---