Re: Question about Outdoor Rock Painting

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 22:00:10 PDT

    LM Paris wrote:

    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I have a painting question for you. My aunt and uncle own a camp ground
    > and want me to paint "Welcome" with some sort of flowery decoration on a
    > rock on their campsite. It is in the mountains in upstate NY and will
    > be exposed to the harsh winter weather. I am looking for suggestions as
    > to types of primer, paint and/or sealer for such a non-porus surface in
    > the outdoors.

    Lynn-Marie,

    An artist painted a mural on the wall of one of the school buildings a
    good ten years ago. He filled in the mortar lines with a spackle-like
    material (possibly that thick kind of acrylic gesso). I think he used
    regular acrylic gesso for a ground. He painted it with Liquitex
    acrylic. The colors are just as vibrant as they were ten years ago, in
    the AZ mountains where it's exposed to harsh direct sun, wind, rain,
    snow, and sometimes single-digit temps in winter.

    Maggie

    ---