Re: Rules and Expectations

From: VanGghsEar
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 18:28:36 PDT

    I just came from a day of meetings and 6th grade orientation,...so forgive me
    if I am repeating myself...."The First Days of School" by Harry Wong will
    really help. It has great organizers, suggestions for rules and a lot of
    other tips. I think she will get a tremendous amount out of it. As far as
    rules go I have the following:
    Be trustworthy, Be truthful, Be a listener, Be Respectful and Be Your Best.
    These are considered general rules. A first year teacher may feel more
    comfortable with more specific rules. But you have to have a set YOU can live
    with. The Wong book really helped me my first year out. One of the things he
    uses I use is "In Five". Some may say well that is too elementary for my
    kids ...I teach 6, 7, 8 and they do not mind at all...I used it in High
    school....and I explain there are times where there is so much action in the
    art class that I might need everyones attention and this saves my lungs. I
    get going, they get going and so they know I am talking to everyone...not
    just Johnny on the wheel I use the "In Five"

    Just a few thoughts

    ---