Re: Fresco Painting

From: Dennis Golombek (dennis_golombek)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 15:27:44 PDT

    With my 6th graders and student teacher we did frescoes this past winter.
    Used regular plaster in styrofoam dishes ( about 3/4" deep) we got at a
    restaurant supply store. At the time could only get oval ones.
    The process:
    1:Students had to do preliminary drawing in sketchbook first of all.

    2:Due to large class size student teacher and I mixed plaster after school
    and filled the dishes.Covered the table they rested on with a sheet of
    plastic. We had clear plastic but the black used for gardens should work as
    well.

    3:Next morning the plaster was still damp because of the covering and the
    plaster was distributed to the students who used watercolors to paint their
    images after first tracing over their drawings onto the plaster. The colors
    were not diluted too much because the colors do become rather muted. The
    stronger the color the better they looked. I personally tried using some
    gouache which worked out very well. The students only had one period to
    paint. The plaster was then set aside uncovered until the next day.

    4: HINT #1: You could place a wire loop in the dish hanging over the edge of
    plate before you pour the plaster to serve as a hanger.
       HINT#2: When dry they can be sprayed with an acryllic gloss or matte
    finish. If you brush a gloss medium over the watercolor or gouache some
    streaking may appear. Suggest a foam brush for that to lessen streaking.

    Hope this helps.

    Dennis

    3

    >Have any of you ever attempted or seen anyone attempt to do fresco
    >painting? Is it possible to use "regular" plaster and tempera or, even
    >better, make your own tempera for the fresco>

    Dennis Golombek
    Lowry Middle School
    North Tonawanda, NY

    http://home.adelphia.net/~golombek