Re: Art Clubs

From: Yvette Lewis (yvlewis)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 08:01:21 PDT

    Hi,
    I am back on the list after my vacation.
    We had an artclub last year, mostly 7th & 8th grasders. About 15 signed up
    and there were 18-20 regulars. Many had conflicts with band or tutoring. We
    did a mural of Van Gogh's Starry Night. Each student got a 16" x 20" canvass
    panel that I had in the back of my storeroom from previous more financial
    flush times. I cut the reproduction into 16 sections, each student
    reproduced one section onto the panel. It was then mounted onto large sheets
    of cardboard that I got from the recycle place and framed by the tech
    department. The paint used was tempra mixed with Golden Paints' thick gel
    medium. It is now mounted onto the wall outside the artrooms.

    I have written a mini grant through my union for paint and supplies for next
    year.

    Other students started but did not finish a mural based on Picasso's Three
    Musicians. I wanted a music based mural to be placed near the music rooms. I
    looked for a Stuart Davis I thought he had done a painting with saxaphones
    but could not locate it.

    We had an icecream party at the end. There is a local icecream parlor that
    will make up sundaes and deliver!

    Yvette

    ---